I decided to talk about books that are set by the sea.
1. Duras, Marguerite, The Sea Wall. A widowed teacher and her two children live in Vietnam by the Pacific Ocean. To save the crops they have to build a wall against the ocean
2. Gallay, Claudie, The Breakers. The coastland of Normandie
3. Winterson, Jeanette, Lighthousekeeping. Salts, the scottish coast - young Silver is sent to live with the blind lighthouse keeper Pew when she has lost her mother.
4. Woolf, Virginia, To the lighthouse. A summerhouse in Cornwall
5. May, Peter, Black house. Isle of Lewis off the coast of northern Scotland
6. Jansson, Tove, The Summer book. A grandmother and her grandchild spend the summer on an island. It´s a wonderful tale about the friendship between an old woman and a very young girl.
7. Stedman, M L, The light between oceans. A lighthouse keeper and his wife living off the coast of Western Australia raise a baby they rescue from an adrift rowboat.
8. Murdoch, Iris, The sea, the sea. A man retires from his theatre life an buys a house by the sea to escape his love affairs.
9. du Maurier, Daphne, Jamaica Inn. About unscrupulous men
who run ships aground, kill the sailors and steal the cargo. Of course there is a love story, too. Cornwall.
10. Benchley, Peter, Jaws. A shark attacks men in Amity, a fictional seaside resort town on Long Island, New York.