tisdag 26 juli 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

The Broke and the Bookish July 26: Top Ten Things Books Have Made Me Want To Do or Learn About After Reading Them

Ulla Wagner, Japan Imagined: The Ida Trotzig Collection of Photographs from the Meiji Era in Japan. Ida Trotzig lived i Japan for about 30 years and she really loved her new country and learned a lot about it. I hope I can learn a little something of all that she knew of Japan.

A. J Cronin, The Citadel about a young doctor saving lives in the mine districts in Wales and in Africa made me wish being a doctor. I found some of his books in my parents bookshelves when I was very young

Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina made me wish I had been there to prevent her committing suicide. I really don´t know how, but I would at least have tried.

Elin Wagner, Penwoman, 1910. The protagonist, Barbro Magnus, a journalist like Elin Wagner, plans to maintain her independence in a liberated marriage as she continues to be active in the struggle for women's rights. I would hav liked taken part in these struggles.
 
Helen Wells,  The books about Cherry Ames made me of course wish to be a nurse!

Walter and Steven Farley, The books about The Black Stallion. I wasn´t much interested in horses generally, but there was something special about the Black Stallion. Oh, what a horsewoman I should be!
Bea Uusma, The Expedition. This is a fascinating story about an expedition to the North Pole led by S A André, a Swedish engineer. It ended in disaster.
I wish I could have been there 1897 helping them out with their equipment, especially their clothes. They didn´t think of the arctic cold which is hard to understand.
Lian Hearn, Tales of the Otori. Otori Takeo och Shirakawa Kaede are a young couple who love each other. But you don´t marry for love in Japan by that time.
They meet with many difficulties.  I would have liked seeing them excercise sword art. Both of them were very skilled

Jules Verne, Twenty thousand leagues under the sea. If I could have managed my fear I would like to have taken part in this marvellous journey.

Susan Sellers, Vanessa and Virginia. A nice cup of the with the two famous sisters Virginia Woolf och Vanessa Bell would have been interesting. 

3 kommentarer:

  1. I don't think I'll go twenty thousand leagues under the sea either....

    SvaraRadera
  2. I loved The Black Stallion movie although I've never read the book. And I've always been fascinated by the Nautilus, so 20,000 Leagues is one I'd like too!

    SvaraRadera
  3. Cronin väntar i hyllan, och dessa systrar är intressanta.

    SvaraRadera